Friday, April 21, 2017

Motor Markings

If you go back a few blog posts, I posted pictures of the original markings on the back of the motor.  I recreated these markings on the back of the motor, once it was finally cleaned -whew!  It was very important to me that these markings be exactly the same as what was on there from the factory originally - even though they won't be visible once the flywheel and bellhousing are reinstalled. Again it's all about things being accurate whether visible or not.  I used a template that I made from a photo of the original makings.  This resulted in a very accurate recreation right down to the hand writing style.  I needed to do this before mounting the block back on the engine stand to finish the build-up.

You'll also notice that I reconditioned and reused the original oil gallery plugs.  They turned out great and are different that what is available to replace them.  Note how the square head rear plugs each have a little bump/raised dot on the top of each one.

 The side hex plugs are not made anymore either, so the originals were restored and reused as well.  Again, these are details that most people would not spend any time on, but this is all tied to my desire for this restoration to be as historically accurate as possible, so here we are again reusing the original parts.  To me, there is just something rare and remarkable about cars that someone spent the extra time and effort to get it absolutely right back to the way is was when the first owner fell in love with the car - and even better when you know that all of the original stuff (that can possibly be preserved) is still on the car, as it was when the first owner drove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment